Sunday, May 20, 2007

Summary of CHI OMEGA wiki

Since mid-February I have been editing the Chi Omega article in the online encyclopedia, Wikipedia. I feel that my contributions have had a positive impact on the site. Nearly all of my edits have been successful and by 'successful', I mean that no one has deleted them in the span of the course. The one exception to that statement is the time that I edited the page to include a success story about my own chapter of Chi O at the University of Delaware. The story was about raising enough money for the "Make A Wish" foundation to send a little girl to Disney World. However, in my edit I said that she was 4-years old instead of 6, and there was immediate backlash. I can't believe people that don't even go to school here,or anywhere for that matter, know more about my sorority than I do. Not only did she delete my story, but she also left a nice little comment for me about how stupid I was for mistaking her age. Thankfully, all of my other additions the the article which included famous quotes, Chi Omega's six purposes and the organization of the sorority, are still in tact. In fact, just minutes after adding the organization section, someone corrected my spelling. I had no idea it could be done that quickly. In editing the wikipedia article, I have learned a ton of facts about my sorority. All in all, I think that this article helped me to learn the most.

No comments: